"..so.."

It's been so long since blogging - I used to do this daily, and now, I don't make much time for it. So, let's see...what's been going on around here.

December was a blur -

....on December 5th, I went to the city with my girlfriends. We saw the Radio City Christmas Spectacular, walked around Bryant Park shopping at some of the vendors that were there for the holiday. We had lunch at Tony di Napoli - omg..the food was .amazing. They serve family style - so you can order a platter of this, and a platter of that, and be happy. Seriously, the. best. Italian. food ever. I can't wait to go back again! But, be warned it says a platter serves 2-3. There were 7 of us, so we ordered 3 different dishes, and we still had lot's of leftovers!!

After lunch, we went to Macy's to see Santa, and then shopped. So much fun!! We then walked back up to Rockefeller Center around 6pm to see the tree. Then, we decided to head on back to Penn Station to catch the LIRR home - and hoped to find a place for tea/coffee, dessert on the walk back. First of all, it was freezing, windy, and we were *tired*. We tried a few places, and there were no tables or chairs - just buy what you want, and leave. Eventually, we found a little coffee shop 2 blocks down from Penn - we sat, and warmed up. Had something warm to drink and some pie. Then, finally got the train back home at 8:30pm. A very long day. But, it was great being with my girlfriends!!

I woke up Saturday the 6th not feeling well. Sore throat, stuffy, achey, tired. We ran errands, did things that needed to be done. Rested the rest of the day, and woke up Sunday even worse. :( By Monday I had a terrible cough, and fever. So, I went to the doctor, and was diagnosed with a severe case of bronchitis/borderline pneumonia. Had an x-ray 2 days later and had walking pneumonia. So, for two weeks I was home, no work, no fun, no shopping, or anything.

Do you know how much fun that is right before Christmas?

I have to say, Steve and the kids stepped up and did *everything* that needed to be done for the holiday. He was on vacation, and took them out shopping, every day after school, for presents, or groceries, or just to be out. They cleaned, and helped get everything ready for Christmas. By the week of the holiday was feeling much better, thankfully, so we all enjoyed it.

The best part? No one else got sick!!

So, that, my friends, is why December was a blur. I slept through most of it. *giggle*

Unfortunately, the new year hasn't been all cheerful. My father was diagnosed with lung cancer at the start of the month. His doctor is optimistic that there is a 75%-95% chance they can get it into remission.

The type of cancer he has is not as aggressive as the lung cancer my mother had, and passed away from 3 years ago, February 22nd. His cancer is slow growing - Stage 3A, non-small cell adenocarcinoma.

My mother had Stage 3B- large cell undifferentiated carcinoma, which is a fast growing/spreading cancer.

So - we are just going to see what happens. He has already started chemo, and radiation. Plus, he is getting biological therapy with Avastin. This is amazing - it affects the blood vessels that feed the tumor causing them to shrink and die, thus compromising the tumor cutting off it's nutrition. This makes it easier for the chemo to work more effectively on the cancer cells. That's just the short description. But, it's been working very well on patients with colon cancer, and breast cancer. So, now, they are using it on patiends with certain types of lung cancer. We are hopeful, and optimistic this will work.

My father is amazing - he's got such an upbeat attitude about it. He's worried, of course. But, he is putting his trust, and faith in the team that is treating him.

I find myself mentally numb sometimes - I wonder if I can handle this again. But - I have to push that away because I have to handle it, for my father, and my family.

I guess that's enough for now - I wish I had something cheerful to post about. Maybe next time.

Comments

Popular Posts